This post is quite delayed! On October 5, 2013, a very amazing and happy event happened. I married the man of my life, Zhengbin Xu! We traveled to Davenport, Iowa and were joined by Mom, Dad, Corey, Danielle, Zach, Aaron, and Nathan. We were married in a short ceremony right on the bank of the Mississippi River by Magistrate Carrie Coyle. Afterward, we all had a nice lunch and had photos taken by Danielle at several beautiful locations around Davenport.
My first half-marathon took place in October of last year. Needless to say, this post is a little bit dated!
The race occurred on October 24th, 2010 in Flora, Indiana. While the original location was supposed to be in Lafayette and West Lafayette, there was a long drawn-out series of events which prevented that from happening. Needless to say, I won’t be going into that in this post.
After arriving at the town with my family (Justin, Mom, Dad, Corey, Danielle and Zach all came along), we found a parking spot. As this was supposed to be a fairly sized event but was moved to a very small town, parking really wasn’t very good. I immediately got into the potty lines, after which it was pretty much time to start the race. As was expected, it wasn’t really very clear where the line was or if there was going to be sections based on the pace that you expected to keep. A normal race will have pace sections so that the faster-paced people are in the front – to avoid congestion.
All-in-all, the race wasn’t really too bad. As it was just a small town, some of the roads could have been better, but there weren’t really any potholes to trip on. The worst part was at one point when a dog started to chase people and another when we were running past on-coming cars. I was under the impression that it was supposed to be a close-course.
In the end, I finished the race while beating my goal of completion in under two hours with a final time of 1:55:43. I would have done better, but I hadn’t really trained for the event as good as I should have. As such, I actually stopped and had to walk a few times during the last few miles.
Will I run this event again? Probably not. The hassle the runners had to go through along with the general organization of the event was quite disappointing. However, I’m not letting this discourage me from running in other events. I’m currently registered to run in the 2011 Purdue Challenge 5K along with the 2011 Chicago Half Marathon which both will be great events!
Well, I’m a week late on my birthday post, but whatever. Last Wednesday (June 9), was my 26th birthday.
Justin and I celebrated pretty simply – we went to dinner at Red Lobster and then went home. Sounds like a good day to me.
Some other items that have happened recently:
- This week I passed my 600th mile running with Nike+
- Last Monday (the 7th), I ran my second half-marathon test run. Unfortunately, it was three minutes longer than my last attempt at 1:51:17. Not horrible, but not good in my opinion. The very hot weather recently is definitely effecting my running ability.
- I have now dropped to 168 lbs. This means that I have passed the 40 lb mark on weight loss! This is very exciting for me as I haven’t weighed that in a very long time. And how did I do it? By just running 600 miles over 9 months and eating better.
- I installed the GM build of iOS4 to my iPhone 3GS. It’s been pretty nice so far since I’ve had it for about a week. I have consolidated all my installed apps into folders squished on one page. The multi-tasking is very intuitive and I’ve found it very useful.
- This Tuesday I pre-ordered the iPhone 4 from AT&T. That was a massive mess thanks to AT&Ts incompetence at being able to handle the huge number of people who attempted to pre-order. My order wasn’t put in until Wednesday morning so we’ll see when I actually get the phone. Can’t wait though.
- This weekend there is a baby shower for my Corey and Danielle and Zach. Zach is doing great and it’ll be great to see him again. Also this weekend is a Mother’s Day/Father’s Day/Keith Birthday party with the family.
I think that covers everything. Not going to make promises on when I’ll post next as I am bad at keeping them, but hopefully sometime soon.